logo

Latest Posts

Witnessing the Transit of Venus

By 2:48 PM ,

Astronomy has been one of the school topics that interests me way back in high school. I remember our school yearly organizes overnight stargazing in UP Observatory. And the recent transit of Venus across the sun is something I have never seen.I almost didn't slept the night before the historical astronomical event.

For what I know beforehand, there will be spectators going to the PAG-ASA Observatory and in Rizal Park. I was also informed that there was another setup to be done at the rooftop of SM MAll of Asia courtesy of the Nido Science Center. I decided to proceed to that located then.

morning sunrise..

nice-looking dlsr (gosh!)



Celestron!


About the Transit of Venus --

A transit of Venus across the Sun takes place when the planet Venus passes directly between the Sun and Earth (or another planet), becoming visible against (and hence obscuring a small portion of) the solar disk. During a transit, Venus can be seen from Earth as a small black disk moving across the face of the Sun. The duration of such transits is usually measured in hours (the transit of 2012 lasted 6 hours and 40 minutes).

Transits of Venus are among the rarest of predictable astronomical phenomena. They occur in a pattern that generally repeats every 243 years. The next transits of Venus will be December 10–11, 2117, and in December 2125.(source: Wikipedia)

my one and only photo taken using a standard camera..

You Might Also Like

0 comments